Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3

Pages

Welcome

About Me

My photo
I am a family, portrait, wedding and lifestyle photographer. The process of making people comfortable with the camera is just as much of a passion for me as is capturing the moment. It is important to me to make the photo session experience a memorable one as well. I know it's a generic statement but I am passionate about life and the urgency to document the moments as they unfold. Take time to invest in the days of your lives. Call me--I can help! I've created a "book of days" gallery on my website: www.mbgpics.com where I do that for my own life. Hopefully it showcases who I am as a person as well as as a photographer.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

one windy colorado afternoon...i met some amazing souls


--the staff







































http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1176620617186

i had the pleasure of meeting some extraordinary families during a charity photo shoot for the ARC of Jefferson County. the Arc in Jefferson County was founded in 1961 by a group of pioneering parents of children with developmental disabilities who chose to raise their children at home in their community. for more than 40 years, The Arc in Jefferson County has provided leadership, advocacy and support to people with developmental disabilities and their families living in Colorado. ironically i didn't know their stories before I had the chance to photograph them. (please take a moment to watch the video link above).

their stories made them all the more interesting to me but certainly didn't change the images of these amazing souls. their inner strength and character were obvious to me from the moment I shook their hands. and the camera captured the lighthearted fun of the day.

we had a beautiful and breezy afternoon for our photo session together. i loved the light--it was as magical as the families and their powerful stories.


a fundraising breakfast will be held on tuesday, may 4, 2010 from 7:30-8:30 am at the Arvada Center for the Arts & Humanities. this will be an excellent morning to wake up early and get involved in supporting this organization that has positively impacted many familes--including mine. (i attended the 9 week, award-winning "Mobilizing Families" class soon after we received my son's autism diagnosis. what i learned during that class helps me still to navigate the tricky waters of IEP's and the developmental disability world in general.)

kudos to these amazing people and the top-notch staff. thanks for welcoming me into your world and allowing me to capture your spirits in these portraits.

i will be there on tuesday, may 4th. perhaps i will see you too!

2 comments:

ferfischer said...

Love this! Everyone looks so great - love the pic of Tania and her girls too! Can't wait to see you at the breakfast!

Unknown said...

Geez, look what happens when you google The Arc in Jefferson County. I had no idea you'd posted such a nice follow up to your amazing pictures. Thanks, MB.

PS: I just bought myself a new camera. Not fancy like yours, but I'm pretty excited. You know, the picnic is just around the corner... you'll be there again, right?